poet #1: Whiskey Words & Shovel I


page 4
and so it happens, nothing is the same. everything altered by overtrusting and believing in someone who fed you beautiful lies, when all you ever wanted was the truth. this has been my biggest problem, a major issue in my life, investing all of my hopes and dreams into someone who never actually meant the things they said, someone incapable of keeping their word, and I'd only come to find out when everything had begun falling apart. there's this slow collapse happening around you, but you're blind to it because you hold on to what little hope you have left. looking back now, I should've known better. the red flags were all around me, but I was blinded by a love that was tainted and promises that later revealed themselves as empty.

page 5
i let this go on for years, i stayed when i should've left, and i'd continue to fight and not be fought for. there i was, thinking it could never happen to me but it did. the slow burning of everything i built upon a foundation that was sand, washed away by the floods of deceit. damaged at the point of betrayal but after i healed myself, i found my truth and discovered a greater love for myself.

page 10
taken away
who robbed you of innocence
who told you things
you've never heard
who made empty promises
swearing to God
that they'd do something
they never actually intended to
who was your first
who took your virginity
with meaningless compliments
and a love that wasn't genuine
who made you feel things
your heart wasn't prepared for
who fooled you into falling

i'll tell you who

the same person
who later abandoned you
after getting what they wanted
the same person who pulled
at your heartstrings
with the intent of playing you
like some horrible symphony
and the saddest part of it all
you'll cling to the good memories
as if they were any
you'll take this dirty walls
and paint over them
with the brightest colors
known to man
but the pain will always be there

page 29
split
you were never the one
this was never love
and we were never meant
to live happily together
you were simply necessary

i had to be hurt by you
in order to find my strength

page 46
12:16 after midnight


i was forced
to survive
in your absence
i was faced
with the realization
that i never needed you

page 49
processing
i'm trying to get better
at walking away
from unhealthy situations
involving my heart

page 58
we're guarded
guarded because i know betrayal
guarded because of lies
guarded because of my pain
guarded because my love
is not for everyone

page 84
my energy misplaced
loving you was draining
instead of wasting
my emotional energy
i decided to forgive you
and move on

page 99
this peacefulness
first
i missed you
then i learned
to live without you
i found comfort in your absence
i made peace with being alone

page 115
fragments
i tried
you left
stay gone

page 117
the burial site
and so i suppress
these feelings with whiskey
i bury you with my words
then cover what we were
with dirt

page 134
witnessed
i've seen women fight
i've seen women break
i've watched women fall
w've witnessed women
pick themselves up
i've observed women
be everything and still get treated
like they're nothing
and even through all of that
i've seen women get through it

i know it hurts
but you're strong my lady
you're going to be fine

page 143
a solid regret II.
today wasn't easy
tomorrow will even harder
i've accepted my fate
my punishment for allowing you reenter my life
without good reason
your hidden motives
and bad intentions
revealed to me once more
after you took what you wanted
leaving me to feel empty 
and filled with regret
of believing in you again

page 184
demolish temptation.
she knew i was taken
she knew i was in love
she offered up herself
but i declined, i said no
see, pussy can only sway
a weak man
strong men refuse to stray
my love for my lover
is so much stronger
than anything anyone else
could ever offer me

page 202
a search for love.
so many angels
are going through hell
in search of love
dating demons

page 211
not forcing.
i can't force you
to be faithful
loyal
and honest
i can't make you
appreciate everything
that i am
but i can force you
to live without me
as i invest my time
in someone better than you

page 212
the life lessons.
through relationships
i learned that someone 
who is yours
can never be taken away
and if for any reason
you lose your lover
to someone else
that person never deserved 
to be claimed by you

page 232
great regret.
in all seriousness
i thought this was real
i believed in you
and that's my greatest regret

page 284
your potential.
you were everything
i should have avoided
but i stared into your potential
instead of paying attention
to our reality
the truth is, you were never
the one
and i can finally admit it

No comments:

Post a Comment